Embassy of the RS Washington /Consular Services, Visas /Marriage and Divorce /

Registration of Marriage or Divorce and Weddings in Slovenia

Marriage Registration
Divorce Registration
Weddings in Slovenia

Marriage Registration

If you have married in the territory of the US, you are also obliged to register your marriage in the Slovenian Vital Records.

All documents need to be translated into Slovenian.

In order to register your marriage the following documentation is required:

1. Marriage certificate - original:
     • with an Apostille seal (more information)
     • both translated into Slovenian


Please note the Embassy does not offer translation services!
Translations to be provided by the applicant. Translations using Google Translate are not adequate!!

The list of translators is available here.
* The Embassy does not guarantee the quality of the translation and is in no way connected to the persons/companies on the list.

2. Copy of passport or the birth certificate of your spouse

3. Statement of the name chosen after your marriage (statement)
* In case this is not your first marriage, you need to submit a proof of a divorce, notarized by District court in Slovenia or other appropriate document (i.e Death Certificate of the previous spouse,...)

4. Completed and signed permission to copy personal documents (permission form)

5. Prepaid express courier envelope
(i.e. US Postal Service, UPS, etc.; must have tracking number) addressed from the Embassy to your address to receive the Slovenian Marriage Certificate back by mail.

*If the envelope is not submitted, the Marriage certificate will be sent back by ordinary USPS mail. In this case the Embassy does not guarantee the shipment will be delivered.

Please do not forget to enclose a cover letter with your contact information, stating what you are applying for and a list of enclosed documents.

Divorce Registration

Registering divorce processed in the US Courts is divided into two phases:

A RECOGNITION OF THE FOREIGN COURT DECISIONdone by the District Court in Ljubljana

This part of the procedure is done by the applicant HIM/HERSELF.

For this procedure, you need:

1. Final Divorce Decision - original
      • With Apostille (more information)

2. Translation into Slovenian BY A COURT CERTIFIED TRANSLATOR (list)

More information on the procedure is available on the website of the District Court in Ljubljana.

The Court is willing to help the applicants directly in determining the requirements for a specific procedure.

PLEASE NOTE! Applicants with decisions from US Courts usually encounter problems with providing the Certificate of Finality of the Decision, as the US courts do not issue such certificates.

We recommend the applicants authorize a representative for the service of documents in the Republic of Slovenia.

The payment of the court fee is done on the basis of a Payment Order issued by the Court upon receipt of the Request for Recognition of a Foreign Court Decision. The Order includes the information on payments from abroad.

After this part of the procedure is concluded, the Court is willing to send the final Decision to the competent Administrative Unit, provided they are supplied with the information on the competent Administrative Unit, Reference Number and that the request is contained in the Request for Recognition of a Foreign Court Decision. The Request is written by the applicant (there is no form!).



For this procedure, you need:

1. Recognized Foreign Court Decision (the result of the procedure under A)

2. Statement on the Choice of Name after the Divorce – to be done at the Embassy
*The change to maiden name in the first 6 months after the divorce is free of charge; after this period the name change has to go through the ordinary name change procedure to which consular fee applies.

The Embassy sends the Statement to the competent Administrative Unit with notice that the recognized Foreign Court Decision will be submitted upon completion of the court procedure.

You receive the reference number to be included in the Request for Recognition of a Foreign Court Decision from the Embassy.



Weddings in Slovenia

Foreigners wishing to have a wedding in Slovenia need to submit the following documents to the competent Administrative Unit:

1. Extract from the Birth Records (Birth Certificate)
     • if not submitted on an international form, Apostille is required (more information)

2.a Citizenship Certificate
     • With Apostille
2.b Valid passports

3. Certificate of Single Status
     • Duly Authenticated

The documents must not be more than 6 months old and have to be translated into Slovenian BY A COURT CERTIFIED TRANSLATOR.

For any additional information please contact the Administrative Unit, competent for the location where the wedding is to take place.

More information for American citizens is available on the website of the US Embassy in Ljubljana.