CHANGE OF PERMANENT ADDRESS
In accordance with the Residence Registration Act citizens of Slovenia who emigrated from Slovenia are obligated to register their new permanent address abroad.
If the exact address is unkonwn at the time of departure from Slovenia, Slovenian citizens can notify the authorities any time thereafter, including through our Embassy. The exact address and updates thereof are important for the exercise of the voting rights of the Slovenian citizens, as all Slovenian citizens are registered in the electoral roll. The election material is sent by mail, therefore the registration and updating of the permanent address is important for receiving the election materials in due time.
Permanent address abroad for a child can be registered by both parents, or one of the parents with the consent of the other, or other legal representative.
There is no need for the consent of the other parent in the following cases:
- if they register the child at an address which is identical to the address of both parents;
- if the registration is performed for a foreigner's child;
- if the child's address is registered by the parent to whom the child has been entrusted for care and education;
- if the child's place of residence has been determined by an agreement on care, education and maintenance of the child or by the decision of the competent court;
- if the residence of the other parent is unknown;
- if the other parent's legal competence or parental rights have been revoked;
- if the other parent is prevented from exercising the parental right.
Permanent address registration may affect your tax obligations.
In order to register your new address abroad please send the following form and a proof of your new address to the Embassy's email address sloembassy.washington(at)gov.si:
CHANGE OF TEMPORARY ADDRESS
Slovenian citizens who have permanent address registered in Slovenia but intend to move out of Slovenia for more than 90 days must in accordance with the Residence Registration Act register with the Embassy their temporary residence within 15 days of the date of taking the temporary residence abroad.
Temporary residence may be registered at the administrative unit before departure if the applicant knows the date of taking temporary residence abroad.
Registration of temporary residence is valid for a maximum of 4 years, but can be renewed by the applicant before it is terminated.
The termination or change of a temporary residence abroad must also be registered no later than 15 days after the date of termination or change of the temporary residence.
Please send the completed and signed application form and a proof of your new address to the Embassy's email address sloembassy.washington(at)gov.si:
The Embassy can upon request issue the following certificates:
1. Certificate of permanent residence / permanent address abroad
2. Certificate of previous permanent residences / permanent addresses abroad
3. Certificate of address for service
4. Certificate of temporary residence / temporary address abroad
5. Certificate of previous temporary residences / temporary addresses abroad
6. Certificate from a household record with personal data of all members
7. Certificate from household records on the number of members
The fee for a certificate is 16 USD, unless it is issued due to the change of applicant's permanent or temporary address.